Search...

20 August 2012

Ruby on Rails Arch Linux Basic Instal

I have been playing with Ruby on Rails for a while after completing a Coursera based SaaS course recently. While undertaking the course I worked on an Ubuntu VM which was provided by the course. However, as in all things I hack around with on Linux I really wanted to set up a basic Rails development environment on my main Arch Linux machine.

While the guide on the Arch wiki was fine when I reached the point of testing my environment I got the following output in bash ....

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/execjs-1.4.0/lib/execjs/runtimes.rb:51:in `autodetect': Could not find a JavaScript runtime. See https://github.com/sstephenson/execjs for a list of available runtimes.

A quick hunt around the forums did not help me!

Following the link in the above error message I read up on execjs and found that you need a supported runtime. I opted for therubyracer, an implementation of the Google v8 javascript runtime.

In bash I ran gem install therubyracer which installed the runtime. I then added the following line to my test applications Gemfile :

gem 'therubyracer', :require => 'v8'

Running rails server now served up my test app on the default port (using WEBrick).

No comments: